Abbott still Hendy’s man

Eden-Monaro’sPeter Hendy has reiterated his support for the Coalition’s leadership team after MPs voted against a leadership spill.
Nanjing Night Net

In a statement emailed to media on Monday, Dr Hendy said hemade it clear last weekhe did not consider that a spill motion should be put to the party room.

“The discussion the Coalition has recently concluded was not only about communication butimportantly, about policy,” Dr Hendy said.

“The Prime Minister has rededicated himself and the Government to greater consultation.

“Additionally, the Prime Minister has implemented a new and creative framework that willfacilitate internal communication.

“These changes are substantial and will open pipelines between Cabinet, Ministers, Parliamentarians and the electorate.”

Dr Hendy said the Prime Minister told the party room that the governmentwould soon be looking at a FamiliesPackage, including improved childcare programs and a small business and jobs package.

“I look forward to their release,” he said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Mount Druitt PCYC Spartans to kick off in 2015

Kicking off: Mum, 14 and Joanne Tuau, Faith Glassie, 14, and Ngamata Tuau, 13, will play for the new Mt Druitt PCYC football team the Spartans. Picture: Gene Ramirez A new rugby league club will take to the field for the first time this year with Mount Druitt PCYC set to launch the Spartans in the Penrith and District competittion.
Nanjing Night Net

It is a positive move for new club manager Lance Chaloner, who took over with a vision of transforming the Shalvey venue into a complex of excellence for indoor and outdoor sports.

Mr Chaloner said it has been amazing to see how the idea of starting a football club has grown in popularity and is expecting big numbers in their first year.

The club will cater for juniors and seniors for both male and female players.

Mr Chaloner said they are expecting to have at least seven junior teams as well as A grade teams in the men’s and women’s division.

He said the response they have seen so far has been beyond his furthest imagination.

‘‘I’m really happy to get this amount of teams, I’d have been elated just to get half a dozen,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s one of those wonderful stories where if everything comes to fruition, it will be a major success,’’ he added.

Mr Chaloner said the teams will be encouraged to utilise the indoor and outdoor facilities to assist in there overall development and performance.

‘‘With the centre here we can engage with the kids for 12 months a year, not just during football season,’’ he said.

‘‘I think that’s one of the main reasons it has won so many people over.

‘‘I think there has been a real for a substantial football club in the Mount Druitt area and hopefully we can fill the void.

‘‘It’s a long-term project and I think it can only get bigger in the future. The more success we have, the more players it will bring.’

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

New Australians

Hats off to the Devonport City Council and to our splendidly attired Mayor Steve Martin for so cordially welcoming 14 brand new Australians with the citizenship ceremony, as well as recipients of the Australia Day awards at the town’s Entertainment Centre.
Nanjing Night Net

One had the spirit uplifted the moment we entered the hall, where above the stage the nation’s flags were hung TOGETHER: Australian, Tasmanian, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islands!

A spectacular choir sang moving songs and a distinguished speaker respectfully referred to Aboriginal population surviving and taking care of the land on which we now stand, from time immemorial.

Wrapped up the happy event with delicious treats and cups of tea and coffee, the people with happy smiles across their faces talked with vigour and happy hugs before leaving.

We had a truly memorable day to keep in our hearts.

ANKA MAKOVEC

Devonport

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Epilepsy factor in reckless driving, court hears

A MAN’Sdefence lawyer has told a court that his client’s epilepsy was a factor in his reckless driving, when he reached speeds of up to 148 km/h.
Nanjing Night Net

Longford manMatthew John Osborne, 23, pleaded guilty in the Launceston Magistrates Court today to 13 offences across three complaints, most of which were driving charges.

Osborne’s offences included two counts of speeding, two counts of overtaking tothe left of another vehicle,reckless driving and having evaded police.

Police prosecutor Konrad Plachta told the court that on August 9 last year, police saw a carspeeding on the Midland Highway at Kings Meadows, south of the connector.

Mr Plachta said that a laser device detected the vehiclespeeding at 148 km/h in a 110 km/h zone, for a distance of more than 278 metres.

After the carfailed to stopfor police, officers later estimated itwas speeding at 135 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the Midland Highway, the prosecutor said.

Mr Plachta said police continued to follow the driver,whosereckless driving includedmountinga traffic island andovertaking other vehicles on the left.

Police lost sight of the car and found it abandoned atPerth.

Mr Plachta said Osborne, withhis father, attended apolice station on August 12, 2014, and Osborne did not deny driving.

Defence solicitor Grant Tucker told the court that his client was “very unpopular at home”, because the car, which was impounded for three months at a cost of $600, belonged to Osborne’s father who had allowed Osborne to drive it.

Mr Tucker said Osbornehadan epilepticepisode in June 2014and doctors had warned him about the effect of adrenalin in his system.

He said that when police caught Osborne, “with adrenalin coursing through his system, hepanickedand just kept ongoing”.

Magistrate Sharon Cure said Osborne’sconduct wasdangerous.

Ms Curedisqualified him from driving for three monthsand adjourned sentencing to March 19.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Time to get back to work, says Sudmalis

Gilmore MP Ann Sudmalis is pleased the leadership spill has been resolved.
Nanjing Night Net

DONE and dusted and now it’s back to work. That’s how Gilmore MP Ann Sudmalis described her thoughts following Monday morning’s unsuccessful attempt to remove Tony Abbott as Prime Minister.

The motion was defeated 61 to 39.

“My support for continuity for the people of Australia has been significant in this process,” Mrs Sudmalis said.

“Playing around with this sort of thing is a waste of everyone’s time and effort.

“A spill effectively puts the government into paralysis and people don’t need that, businesses don’t need that.

“It’s time to get back to work,” she said.

Afterwards in a statement to camera, Mr Abbott declared the matter was now resolved.

“The Liberal Party has dealt with the spill motion and now this matter is behind us,” he said.

“I love this country, I will do my best to help our country to succeed,” he said.”

In a statement released shortly after she spoke to the Register. Mrs Sudmalis said, “I welcome this morning’s speedy resolution to the leadership beat-up, as it means we can get on with the job addressing the need for budget repair, getting jobs, and giving our people the economic security and the national security they need and deserve.

“My top two priorities going forward are securing Federal funding for the third river crossing at Nowra, and ensuring that South Coast motorists get a fair go on fuel.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Gallery: 2015 Glen Innes Show

The Glen Innes Show was as popular as ever with large crowds visiting the Glen Innes Showground over the three days.
Nanjing Night Net

Highlights of the weekend included the official unveiling on Friday of the new $200,000 showground lights by show patron Bill Hughes and member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall.

The Isuzu Team D-MAX precision driving team made several appearances and the fireworks displays by Holysmoke proved a continuing show highlight.

The gourmet fiesta continued to delight the tastebuds for another year with numerous exhibitors showing their taste sensations.

There was plenty on offer for motorsports enthusiasts with the demolition derby attracting a large field of entries, while lawnmower races and a car parade featuring some of the region’s best ute’s and even a Ferrari, kept petrol head revving throughout the weekend.

The Miss Teen Showgirl and Miss Showgirl competitions were highly competitive with Miss Teen Showgirl eventually won by Bianca Grob and Miss Showgirl by Jessica Cook.

Gallery: 2015 Glen Innes Show TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Game of chicken sparks rail warning

AN incident in which two young girls played chicken with an oncoming train at theBendigo-Pyramid Road level crossing has sparked a warning from V/Line for pedestrians to take care around rail lines.
Nanjing Night Net

The January 10 incident was reported to police.

V/Line chief executive Theo Taifalos said train lines and level crossings were not the places for games.

“This behaviour is extremely dangerous and it’s a frightening example of pedestrians dicing with death,” he said.

“The consequences could have been fatal.”

Mr Taifalos said nearmisses took a toll on train drivers.

“It can be a traumatic experience for our drivers and it’s happening far too often,” Mr Taifalos said

V/Line reported there were more than 20 pedestrian nearmisses across Victoria in January.

“We offer an Employee Assistance Program to drivers if they require counselling but it’s up to the public to help avoid these situations.” he said.

Mr Taifalos said pedestrians needed to be patient around train lines and level crossings.

“It takes trains a lot longer to stop than vehicles, so pedestrians need to be patient while waiting for a train to pass,” he said.

“It’s simply not worth risking your life for the sake of a few seconds.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

2015 EGFNL fixture

Stratford will begin the defence of its EGFNL premiership against newcomer Boisdale-Briagolong.RELATED: Gippsland League fixture NGFNL fixture
Nanjing Night Net

Round one, April 3 (Good Friday):PaynesvillevLakes Entrance (night); April 11:Orbost-Snowy RoversvLindenow,StratfordvBoisdale-Briagolong,LucknowvWy Yung (night).

Round two, April 18:Boisdale-BriagolongvPaynesville,LindenowvStratford,Wy YungvOrbost-Snowy Rovers,Lakes EntrancevLucknow (night).

Roundthree, April 25 (Anzac Day):Lakes Entrance vOrbost-Snowy Rovers (night),Lucknow vPaynesville (night);April 26 (Sunday):StratfordvWy Yung,LindenowvBoisdale-Briagolong.

Round four (split round), May 2:Lakes EntrancevStratford,PaynesvillevOrbost-Snowy Rovers; May 9:Boisdale-BriagolongvLucknow,Wy YungvLindenow.

Round five, May 16:LindenowvLakes Entrance,Orbost-SnowyRoversvLucknow,StratfordvPaynesville,Wy YungvBoisdale-Briagolong.

Round six, May 23:Lakes EntrancevWy Yung,LucknowvStratford,Orbost-Snowy Rovers vBoisdale-Briagolong,PaynesvillevLindenow.

Round seven, May 30:Boisdale-BriagolongvLakes Entrance,PaynesvillevWy Yung,StratfordvOrbost-Snowy Rovers,June 6 (Queen’s Birthday weekend):LindenowvLucknow (at Bairnsdale City Oval).

Round eight, June 13:Boisdale-BriagolongvStratford,Lakes EntrancevPaynesville,LindenowvOrbost-Snowy Rovers,Wy YungvLucknow.

Round nine, June 20:LucknowvLakes Entrance,Orbost-Snowy RoversvWy Yung,PaynesvillevBoisdale-Briagolong,StratfordvLindenow.

Round 10, June 27:Boisdale-BriagolongvLindenow,Orbost-Snowy Rovers v Lakes Entrance,PaynesvillevLucknow,Wy YungvStratford.

Round 11, July 4:LindenowvWy Yung,LucknowvBoisdale-Briagolong,Orbost-Snowy Rovers vPaynesville,StratfordvLakes Entrance.

Round 12, July 11:Boisdale-BriagolongvWy Yung,Lakes EntrancevLindenow,LucknowvOrbost-Snowy Rovers,PaynesvillevStratford.

Round 13, July 18:Boisdale-BriagolongvOrbost-Snowy Rovers,LindenowvPaynesville,StratfordvLucknow,Wy YungvLakes Entrance.

Round14, July 25:Lakes EntrancevBoisdale-Briagolong,LucknowvLindenow,Orbost-Snowy RoversvStratford,Wy YungvPaynesville.

Round15, August 1:LucknowvWy Yung,Orbost-Snowy Rovers vLindenow,PaynesvillevLakes Entrance,StratfordvBoisdale-Briagolong.

Round16, August 8:Boisdale-BriagolongvPaynesville,Lakes EntrancevLucknow,LindenowvStratford,Wy YungvOrbost-Snowy Rovers.

Round17, August 15:LindenowvBoisdale-Briagolong,LucknowvPaynesville,Orbost-Snowy RoversvLakes Entrance,StratfordvWy Yung.

Round 18, August 22:Boisdale-BriagolongvLucknow,PaynesvillevOrbost-Snowy Rovers,Lakes EntrancevStratford,Wy YungvLindenow.

Second semi-final, August 29.

First semi-final, August 30.

Preliminary final, September 5.

Grand final, September 12.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Wingham Rifle Club report

WINGHAM Rifle Club shooters lined up on the 800 metre range and once again the weather was hot and steamy with mirage floating across the targets.
Nanjing Night Net

This made accuracy from that distance so much more difficult.

Leading the way with good scores was visitor from Sydney Mike Millen and new member Gary Ellis. Although Ellis has had previous shooting experience, he is not familiar with the discipline of F-class in prone position, and looks as if he will be very competitive.

Mike Millen won A-grade with a very good second round of 50.6 for a final score of 99.10 only dropping one shot in two rounds, followed by Jim Blackmore who struggled in the conditions with 85.6.

B-grade was once again won by Max Purnell with 97.7, then Barry White 90.5, and Frank Alcott 76.3.

F-class A-grade was taken out by competition leader Chris Barnard with an excellent second round of 57.2 for a total of 113.3, then Tony Galati 111.3, and Mike Rogerson 107.4.

F-class B was won by Gary Ellis with a score of 107.4, followed by Gordon Higgins 103.1, Bev Rogerson 99.1 and Todd Barnard 98.2.

Handicap trophy was won by Max Purnell

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Children charged over Esperance crime spree

A GROUP of children have been charged over a four-day crime spree in Esperance,Falcon, Mandurah, Augusta,Merredin and Northam.
Nanjing Night Net

Wheatbelt and Rockingham Detectives have charged three juveniles for numerous offences in the suburbs between February 4 and 7.

The three, includingtwo girls and one boy, were arrested Saturday afternoonafter an assault was reported to have happened at a shopping centre car park on Grey Street inNortham just beforenoon.

A 14-year-old boy was to face charges including two counts of stealing a motor vehicle, two of stealing, one of reckless driving, one of common assault and one of receiving.

He was refused bail and was to appear in the PerthChildren’s Court this morning, Monday 9 February 2015.

A 13-year-old girl has been charged with two counts of aggravated burglary and commit, five counts of stealing, four of stealing a motor vehicle, one count each of common assault, aggravated assault with intent to rob, criminal damage, trespass and criminal damage by fire.

She was refused bail and was to appear in Perth Children’s Court this morning.

A 16-year-old girl has been charged with stealing a motor vehicle and is due to appear in the MandurahChildren’s Court on Monday, March 16.

Overnight on Thursday at least five Esperance businesses had their windows smashed, a dog was stolen from a residential property and at least two vehicles were stolen in the coastal town.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

« Previous PageNext Page »